Start your free 7-day trial today!
Open Water Training Plan Fast Facts:
- Duration: 12 Weeks
- Workouts: 30
- Average Workout: 2,200 meters = 60 minutes
- Goal: Race in a 1,500 meter open water race
Who’s it for? You’re training for an Olympic Distance Triathlon or Open Water Race. This plan is designed for beginner to advanced swimmers looking to improve their 1,500m open water swim.
How does it work? Complete 2-3 workouts per week for 12 weeks. At the end of 12 weeks you’ll be rested to race 1,500 meters open water. Every other week one workout will be a threshold test set, and on alternating weeks you’ll do a long continuous pool swim. Supplemental open water swims are recommended 1x/week in the final 6 weeks leading up to the triathlon. This 12-week plan will also work well for a Sprint Distance Triathlon.
A training plan is a critical component to the success of reaching your goals in swimming! Here are some additional ways this plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel stretched on time. This plan sets all your workouts ahead of time for you; therefore, you are more able to fit them into your hectic schedule than you thought. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each workout is.
- Setting Goals: Having a goal gives you something to work towards and a plan helps get you there! Having a chart makes your goal much easier and attainable.
- Staying Focused: By having a plan ahead of time, you know exactly what you’re going to do and when you’re going to do it. One of the worst things that can happen, is to only swim when the mood hits you (or not at all). A plan will keep you focused on where you’re going.
- Staying Motivated: By adhering to a weekly schedule, you may find that you are staying motivated between and during every session more so than if you didn’t have a plan. Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help visualize success and keep you on track.
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey. A structured plan will keep your schedule in check and accountable to each and every workout.
So what are you waiting for?
Start the 12-Week Open Water Swim Training Plan and elevate your swimming with MySwimPro! Still not convinced, read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan.